Saturday, November 14, 2009

the roll-out

I told two more of my friends this week about our plans. The three of us went for coffee after class and I decided it was a good a time as any to tell them. I didn't realize, however, that P would be the first guy I talked to about this (besides the immediate family members). We have been really good friends for over two years now so I don't think something like this is going to "ruin" anything but I could tell it was weird for him.

Although I've realized that for a lot of my friends, it isn't necessarily the IVF part that is shocking - it's the idea that I would even choose to become pregnant at this point in my life. When you're finishing up law school, so many people are hyper-conerned about their future careers that they're just as afraid of getting pregnant now as they were at 17.

It's funny, because this factor has really thrown a wrench in my ability to guess who is going to be a Super Friend (you know, the ones who randomly show up when you're having a hard time to drop off cookies or invite you to a movie) and who is going to fade out of my life a little bit because of all of this. I *know* at least one female friend who is struggling with the whole career/baby conundrum is going to stay away just because it will force her to deal with the conundrum directly.

I'm not necessarily upset about any of this - I know at least some of my friends will be there to help me through this - I just don't know which ones!

------

I painted my nails purple this week because it reminds me not to take life too seriously. And I like purple. So there. :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh girl! Make sure your cycle isn't anywhere near when you have exams, papers, or have to do thinking of any kind. IVF is so hard on your body and your emotions. I didn't know you were a law student! The injections you take really mess with your mind, it's hard to think or be a rational person.

    I hope some people will come forward as your Super Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley! I am planning to do my cycle at the very beginning of the semester (or right before), am only taking three classes, and one of those is a "slacker class" that i've been waiting to take until this occasion arrived. :) i also have friends lined up to tape lectures if i need them. hoping this combo will be effective no matter how crazy i get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up on your blog - hi! You have been through SO much...I hope IVF goes well (and easy!) for you. I'll be following your journey ;-)

    ReplyDelete