Wednesday, November 25, 2009

shipping

So I managed to get my blood drawn this morning and sent off to our clinic - but I am definitely worried that something in this process will go wrong. I was feeling pretty good about everything initially this morning but things kind of went downhill from there. The nurse who drew my blood seemed a bit dim and also used a ridiculously large needle to draw one tiny vial of blood. Then she said it would take 20 minutes for it to clot and be ready to send out, but she didn't actually bring me the box with the vial in it until an hour had gone by.

And then came the fun part - trying to ship something as quickly as possible back to our clinic on the day before Thanksgiving. Turns out UPS and FedEx don't deliver on Thanksgiving, no matter how much you're willing to pay them. We ended up shipping it via USPS Express Mail. The computer said it would arrive at my clinic sometime tomorrow...but then the clerk warned me that the Post Office won't guarantee anything so it's possible it wouldn't get there until Friday. Ugh. So I call my clinic:

Me: I might not be able to overnight the blood to you.
Receptionist: Oh, why?
Me: Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.
R: Oh.
Me: Do you know how long the ice pack will keep it cold?
R: As long as it stays cold, it will be fine.
Me: Yes, I know. But do you know how long that will be with the ice pack?
R: Let me ask a nurse. [puts me on hold for 5 minutes]
R: Okay, they said it should be fine as long as it stays cold.

So obviously I'm a bit worried about this. Also it cost me $50 to mail it via Express Mail. I am regretting my decision to come out here for Thanksgiving at all. I should have stayed home and just driven to the clinic to have the blood drawn there. Argh.

Oh and to top things off, my husband is annoyed with me because I'm not properly enjoying this "vacation" and he's "sick of having to come up with stories" for his extended family. He is really going to have a great time when I'm actually wacked out on hormones.

No comments:

Post a Comment