Tuesday, December 29, 2009

how many medical personnel does it take...

Today we had our big orientation appointment at our clinic. We started by meeting with a nurse who went through what medications I'll be on, our calendar, and how to give myself the injections. Then we met with someone in the business office. Then we met with someone from the lab about donating our "unused genetic material." Then we met with some young doctor to review some other forms. Then another older doctor came in to go over the same forms. Then another younger doctor also shook our hand but I don't know why she was there. We had not met any of these people once during any previous visits so if nothing else I feel like there is a team of 20 people working on our "case."

One interesting thing we realized today was that even though we'd never met any of these people before, they all seemed to be on top of our details - they knew what our preferences were, when we'd be starting, etc. I asked how many PGD cases they typically do and apparently they only do about 10 per year. Maybe that is why we are more memorable?

My other theory is that we had an (apparently) unusual request regarding what sex embryo should be transferred in the event that we get two spectacular blasts. Basically, if we have two equally strong blasts - one male and one female, both without the MD gene - then we want the female transferred just in case the genetic test is wrong. That way in the 1% chance the test is wrong, we end up with a carrier and not a boy with MD. Didn't seem crazy to me but we learned today that it required approval from the ethical board at the clinic/hospital. Maybe that is why they remember us?

Although today was stressful, I am excited to get this show on the road. I'm currently on BCP and I'm guessing it will seem like no time at all before I'm injecting myself. Which, btw, I'm a little apprehensive about but I'm sure I'll get over. They're all sub-q except for the one-time hcg shot so hopefully it won't be too bad. And they even let my needle-phobic hubby off the hook! They told us if he's really stressed about giving me the shot, there is no problem with having my brother-in-law the doctor do it (or a nurse, or whatever).

I am now watching some hockey and trying to relax. I got tickets for Christmas for a game in mid-February - which happens to fall during what will likely be the dreaded two-week-wait following our (hopefully!) successful transfer. Fingers-crossed that we'll make it that far.

2 comments:

  1. YAY for a good meeting with the clinic. YAY for getting the ball rolling with BCPs! Time does fly once you are in cycle I promise. Good luck with the shots. You will get used to them quickly I am sure. what will your protocol be? I will be sending lots of follie growing thughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Eileen! I am still new to all the lingo but I start Lupron in a few weeks, then add gonal-f & menopur. still a bit overwhelmed by all the types of drugs, even though i knew it was coming! :) also need to find a pharmacy in the next couple days and get all that taken care of. lots to do!

    ReplyDelete