Monday, February 8, 2010

un-freaking-believable

Of all the things I've imagined going wrong, this was not one of them...

I called the genetics lab this afternoon "just to ease my mind" and hear someone say that they are running the tests on our embryo cells. The guy asked for my last name, puts me on hold for five seconds, and then tells me that there was some kind of shipping problem. WTF?!??!? I had not heard ANYTHING from my clinic or the lab until I randomly took the initiative to ask what I thought was a totally harmless question. I pretty much hung up on the guy, called my clinic, and told them straight-out that I was panicking and somebody needed to tell me what the hell was going on.

After 10 agonizing minutes waiting for the main lab doc to call me back, I learned that the container with our samples didn't make it on the original flight out of Minneapolis this morning. So it got put on the next flight, which was delayed because of the snow, but now NOBODY CAN TELL ME EXACTLY WHERE THE CONTAINER IS. Seriously??? I now made the nurse, the lab guy, and the genetics lab promise to call me as soon as anyone knows anything, it's been an hour, and nobody has called me. Oh and by the way, this means there is no possible way to do the transfer tomorrow. Yup. Everyone assures me six day transfers are totally normal and that nothing bad will happen because of this, but as of right now I still have no reassurance that the container has reached the lab. It takes over 17 hours to run the tests so....yeah, we are kind of under-the-gun here. And if it doesn't get there in time, we have to freeze all of them without transferring. I looked online and flights have been leaving here all day long (although delayed). I really hope the airline realizes that this isn't like losing my freaking vacation luggage. Everyone so far has told me that the party at fault here is Delta Airlines. I hope they have enough money in case I need to sue the shit out of them.

I feel like I am living in a really bad LIfetime movie. I know this isn't the worst possible thing that could happen but it still feels ridiculously awful and I am so pissed that I have no control over this. If I'd known things would get this messed up, I would have bought DH a ticket there so he could have carried it himself. Oh and of course everyone keeps telling me how important it is that I not be stressed out right now, for fertility's sake.

Back to waiting around for the phone to ring....

1 comment:

  1. O.M.G.!!! What a nightmare! Of course you are stressed. That is a normal reaction to all this! I actually had a 6 day transfer which resulted in pg (eventual m/c, but that wasn't due to 6 day transfer). Apparently that is not too uncommon. But I know the crushing disappointment of having to wait, yet again. Take care of yourself the best you can, thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete