Friday, January 15, 2010

thankful

Day 3 of Lupron-only is already accomplished - and I realized my day can only improve after starting off with an injection. Post-poke, I've been going back to bed for a few minutes of cuddle time with one of my pups and that seems to really help too. (here's the doggy face that cuddles into my lap whenever I need it)



Despite everything, I am feeling very thankful today. So far I have had very minor side effects of the injections, mostly just slight bruising and swelling at the injection sites. Overall though, I realize how lucky we are that our families are helping us pay for this, that my husband has insurance that will at least pay for some of it, and that this technology even exists. I remind myself every day that this will totally be worth it when I don't have to worry about my kids being in wheelchairs or having heart problems at 25 (my brother is 25 and it is so so scary).

I am also thankful that we are doing this while I am in law school, and that my school doesn't care if you go part-time, and how awesome it is that I can take a lighter load and not be stressed out while we are going through this. And I'm thankful for my amazing friends and family. I am SO glad I decided to be totally honest with certain people. I knew I would tell my "sisters" (one of my cousins, who I grew up with, and then my sister-in-law/former-roommate from college) but it was harder to decide to tell some of my law school friends. But I am so glad I did. Them checking in with me every day keeps me grounded, even if it's just "hey, how are you?" in the hallway, but with a look that says it's okay to be honest instead of just saying "great! how are you?"

Mostly today, I am thankful for all that I have in my life already, and not just the possibilities we are now hoping for. I keep hearing more and more about what is going on in Haiti and it is just heartbreaking. The total number dead or missing is astounding on its own, but then I start to think about how each of those people had a family and a community and it's just so sad. I may not have a healthy baby yet, but there is so much I already have that it seems silly to get hung up on feeling bad for myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment